Thursday, January 21, 2010

There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way

Throughout the last eight months I have been very fortunate to have created some great relationships while at NX Level. Thus far my career seems to be speed balling down the turf. As some would say, my time at NX has gone by with the blink of an eye. Months and months back, while still at Whitewater,I was finalizing my internship plans. I looked toward a future career in the strength and conditioning field thinking about box jumps, hang cleans, foam rolling, 40 yard dash starts...I thought about making athletes better by way of programming, exercise selection, and coaching techniques. What I never thought about was the extraneous characteristics and often overlooked wonders and highlights that really make what we do a joy. I've really came to realize that, although I am still obsessed with the aforementioned traits (40 yard dash starts, etc); I frickin love this job because of two key things. Number 1: I am surrounded by great people & Number 2: I've chosen to both be happy and to find love/reward in what I do!!!

#1 The Great People Around Me- It's not to often a workplace is completely uniform in terms of their interests and goals. Put simply..we f-ing love to train and we f-ing love to train others. We are lucky to have each other. Some time's the hours do grow slightly old, but f#$%, time is only a measurement anyways. Yes, we do get tired and maybe a little cranky, but it makes it so much easier for us when we come to realize that the guy or girl, athlete or kid...whomever it may be (yeah that even includes T-Bone) is jacked up to be at NX, to get a chance to better themselves in the workout that they've been looking forward to all day...to joke around with their "trainer". We are very fortunate to get the best of the people we work with and that is what makes this job so rewarding. Our job's essentially boil down to aiding people in their physical betterment...but we all know that a little exercise is definitely medicine for the soul.
#2-Happiness as my choice & not just my prerogative--I think whats made me so happy with where I am at right now is that I've let myself become happy...I've chosen to be happy...Making the choice to view the world around me as a painting I created and not a photo someone else has taken; has given me direction with how I want to lead each day. A couple entries before I blogged about perspective. I think for the first time in my life I have perspective on things. As human beings we are constantly in search of this mythical allusion of happiness-- that it's out there some where to be found...this misconception is worthless and extremely misleading to those who try and give it truth. You are happy if you want to be happy. Contrary to happiness, if you're always out their searching for more you're bound to never find that certain "it". My grandpa used to tell me when I was a kid, as a matter of fact he still does to this day, "you are special because you are you." I think he told that to all of his grandchildren, but he was damn right. You are you! There isn't anyone like you in mind, body, and spirit. You can guarantee that... My point is for this happiness to occur you have to love yourself.
To leave you for the day I would like to finish with a powerful quote by my favorite author, Wayne Dyer.

"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

No comments:

Post a Comment